RAAF Base Housing Division – Flood Mitigation
Type: Civil Construction
Client: Defence Housing Australia (DHA)
MCE was engaged to construct an 880-meter-long open unlined drain at RAAF Base Darwin. The scope included firstly working with the client to redesign the project.
Once design was complete, a full safety and environmental policy was implemented to cover all aspects of the project from underground services to monitoring of asbestos and dust from the works.
- Stripping topsoil from the total length of the site and stockpiling
- Bulk excavation of the drain followed using excavators with GPS
- Soil to be used as fill was carted to an assigned stockpile
- Trimming and shaping drain batters
- The precision finishing was achieved by a GPS-equipped grader
- Construction of 18 drop structures using gabion baskets and reno mattresses
- Construction of five concrete crossings to protect batter works at intersections of existing roads.
- Construction of the outlet structure and over flow dam
- Cutting into the existing storm water pipe
- Fitting 36 metres of grates to dispose of the huge volumes of water
- Topsoiling and grassing